Robert Johnstone Brown
As the posthumous only child of a war-hero, Robert was given her father's
name. Robert and her mother Mary's fortunes improved when Mary inherited the
estate of Milton from her uncle and then Robert married the laird of Redhall,
but she died without children aged only 29.
- Posthumous only child of Captain Robert Johnstone of the
31st (Huntingdonshire) Regiment, who was killed in May 1796 at Sir Ralph
Abercromby's attack of St Lucia.
- Mary. She took the additional name of Brown when she
inherited the estate of Milton from her uncle James Brown.
- Chapel connection
- 1815 (wedding)
- Married on
- 30 July 1815
- John Inglis
- Jane Demorgan's husband
Duncan Buchanan left in his will a bond granted by David Campbell to James Brown
of Milton 'to which I acquired right by a Dispisition... executed in my favour
by Mrs Mary Johnstone Brown now of Milton the neice and nearet lawful heiress',
- Registers of Charlotte Chapel (NAS CH12/3)
- Edinburgh Post Office Directory 1818
- John Alexander Inglis, The family of Inglis of Auchendinny and Redhall (Edinburgh, T and A Constable, 1914)
Back to index