- 1773 - 21 September 1838
- Moor House near Wakefield
- Francis Maude of West Hall 1731-1810
- Mary Skilbeck 1738-1824 daughter of John Skilbeck of Hull
later settling at Middlewood
Hall near Barnsley.
- Religious views
- He paid for the extension to Darfield Churchyard. (5)
- Landed gentleman despite being a second son. He lived in
a rich coal and manufacturing area so it is likely this is the source of his
- Wealth at death
- He bought Middlewood Hall in 1830 from the
Honourable Henry Savile for £11,000. His son was a wealthy art collector.
- Chapel connection
- 1816 (wedding)
- Married on
- 8 November 1816
- Janet Munro
- Daniel John (1 Dec 1817) (2), George Skilbeck (1819-1844)
art collector and heir of Middlewood Hall but died of tuberculosis, Matilda,
Elizabeth, Jane (3, 5)
Shuttleworth lived about three miles from Painthorpe, and was married in
Charlotte Chapel three days before him.
- Registers of Charlotte Chapel (NAS CH12/3)
- Gentleman's Magazine, vol 122 (1817), p.553
- John Burke, A Genealogical and heraldic history of the commoners of Great Britain, vol.2 (London, Henry Colburn, 1835) p.88.
- Bradford Observer, 27 September 1838
- T. Gladman, 'Spotlight on George Skilbeck Maude' in Friends of Darfield
Churchyard Newsletter Winter 2009-2010 (online, accessed
18 Oct 2011)
Back to index