- 28 Jun 1747 - 30 Sep 1805
- John Watson, writer in Edinburgh, 1709-1783
- Isabella Abercromby, 1710-1769
- 77 Princes Street
- Writer to the Signet 1770. He was legal agent for
Catherine Byron Gordon, Lord Byron's mother: there is a collection of letters
from him in Aberdeen University Archives dealing with her financial affairs
around the time of Lord Byron's birth in January 1788 (4).
- Wealth at death
- £4,100, including an eighth share of a ship
and a library worth £44.
- Chapel connection
- Charlotte Chapel Trustee
- (1) m.1788 Nicolas Buchan (d.1790), daughter of Thomas
Buchan of Auchmacoy, Aberdeenshire, and (2) m.1795 Isabella Milne.
- James (according to Terry (5) he was a Writer who became a
Trustee of Charlotte Chapel after his father's death, but he does not appear to
have been active in Edinburgh: he possibly went to Canada), Nicolas (or Nicola,
c.1770-1837 m.Robert B. Wright MD of Jamaica), Samuel.
- Registers of Charlotte Chapel (NAS CH12/3)
- Edinburgh Post Office Directory 1818
- John Smith, Monumental Inscriptions in St Cuthbert's Churchyard, Edinburgh (Older Portion) (Edinburgh, Scottish Record Society 1915) p.20.
- Aberdeen University Special Libraries and Archives, MS 932 (online catalogue entry accessed 26 January 2012
- George F. Terry, Memorials of the Church of St John the Evangelist, Princes Street, Edinburgh, second edition 'revised and enlarged' (Edinburgh: Robert Grant 1918)
- James Watson's Will and Inventory, National Archives of Scotland CC8/11/2/242 and CC8/11/2/241
Back to index